Friday, June 5, 2009

A moment to reflect on where reliability went...

Okay, so all week long I've stayed up until one in the morning to finish a Creative Writing project. It was a book. A small book. Called a Zine (Zeen... like magazine).
Now, this project was only supposed to take a weekend. And it did. That is, until one particularly intelligent computer lab aid pulled my flash drive out of the computer without ejecting it one particularly sunny Monday morning and, would you look at that, corrupted all of the files.
So, I go home, redo all of the hard stuff... get it all back together again. I have not yet saved it on the thumb drive. I go to put it in the USB port, and...
My computer crashes.
So, at this point, I just stare blankly at the screen before turning it off, rolling over, and going to bed.
So, after spending Tuesday and Wednesday retyping, re-editing, and rearranging the pages so that it would all make sense when it was put together, I printed it out. My Creative Writing teacher was making copies of all of these Zines (so everyone could get one and read the work of other students), but she was not there that Thursday. So, as per prior instructions for this type of situation, I go to the office and ask one of the ladies working there if they will ever so kindly put my time-consuming project into her box. The nice woman says that, why, of course she will.
So I go home that day feeling pretty good about myself.
Then I wake up this morning. It's the last day (or at least technical 'class' day) of school. I'm happy. Finals are over. My stupid project cannot crash, explode, or corrupt any more. I have a big headache from no sleep and my stomach's feeling a little ooky, but all in all I figure it's going to be a mighty fine day.
I progress through each class, just waiting for it all to be over. I get to fourth period, the last one of the day, and the recipient of my Project of Doom. I'm happy to receive the fruits of my labors, i.e. a couple of doughnuts and an 'A.' And that is when I find out that my project has mysteriously disappeared.
So I go back to the office. I talk to Nice Lady. She has absolutely no recollection of our little discussion from the other day.
About ready to go nuclear on the next visible object, I go down to the school library and re-print the entire thing. The problem? This version does not have the pages in the right order, so after my teacher makes copies I have to sit there, in the room, and try to figure out how to put it together.
So. Let me emphasize how happy I am for summer. And the next time someone sees a computer lab aid, throw something at him just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment